Wednesday 10 June 2009

Ingmar Bergman, Summer Nights

A little while ago we had a short burst of summer. Hot days, and sticky nights.

It only lasted for a few days, but each night, as I couldn't sleep, I ended up watching Ingmar Bergman films. The first film I watched was Persona. After that, I watched Wild Strawberries, and then lastly, my favourite, Summer Interlude.

There are more famous Bergman films. The Seventh Seal is probably the most famous, followed the two mentioned above, as well as others like Cries & Whispers. But Summer Interlude is my favourite Bergman film by far.

It is a very simple film, and beautifully shot. A ballerina, played by Maj-Britt Nilsson, remembers a summer thirteen years before, her first love, which ends in tragedy. The film portrays carefree young love, and it portrays how things can stay with you, and shape you. She has built up walls to protect herself, but those walls only serve to keep the ghosts of her past inside. That shutting yourself off from the world is no way to live. I have something to learn there.

It is a small, perfectly formed tale of remembered intimacy, and regret.

It was only the summer before last that I started watching Ingmar Bergman films, and it seems that I only really watch them on long, hot, summer nights. Bergman has a reputation for gloom, but I cant think of a better way to while away a summer.


No comments: